Thursday, May 06, 2010

Why the disguise?

1 At that time Abijah son of Jeroboam became ill, 2 and Jeroboam said to his wife, "Go, disguise yourself, so you won't be recognized as the wife of Jeroboam. Then go to Shiloh. Ahijah the prophet is there—the one who told me I would be king over this people...

6 So when Ahijah heard the sound of her footsteps at the door, he said, "Come in, wife of Jeroboam. Why this pretense? I have been sent to you with bad news.

1 Kings 14:1-2,6

The kingdom had split and Jeroboam was the king of Israel. His son was sick. He sent his wife to go to the prophet, but he didn't want the prophet to know who she was. Ahijah was nearly blind and Jeoboam thought he could be easily fooled.

Why did Jeroboam want to disguise his wife? Was he fearful that the prophet would bring a harsh word because Jeroboam wasn't seeking God? Was he ashamed of something he had done and didn't want the prophet to know he needed him? Had he turned away from God and he was ashamed that he still needed to turn to God? The text doesn't really make it clear. However, it made me wonder how do I disguise myself. Am I living an authentic life in front of my family? Am I living an authentic life in front of my neighbors? Am I living an authentic life in front of the people at church? I would like to say that yes I am, but I am sure that I am not living a 100% authentic life in any of these areas. I have masks. I have disguises that I wear. What is it that motivates me to don the masks and disguises? Am I fearful of a harsh word? Am I ashamed of some sin? Do I not believe that God's plan for my life is what's best for me?

It didn't work for Jeroboam's wife. Ahijah knew who she was. God told him. There was no fooling the man of God. There is no fooling God.

Lord, help me to put off my masks and disguises. Help me to live an authentic life in front of You and those that I am around. Forgive me of the things that keep me from doing so and give me the strength to change. For Your glory. Amen.

No comments: