Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Hardness of Heart

33"If this man were not from God, he could do nothing." 34They answered him, "You were born in utter sin, and would you teach us?" And they cast him out.

John 9:33-34 (ESV)

The Pharisees continued their investigation of Jesus healing the man born blind by questioning the man himself. Back in verse 16, the Pharisees were clear that they felt Jesus was not from God. Yet here this man whom they saw as a sinner (and of course he was, but it wasn't because of sin that he was born blind) is telling them that Jesus was from God! How dare he. The Pharisees were so set in their ways that they could not accept Jesus being from God. Yet the man born blind realized it and believed Jesus was from God. When Jesus revealed Himself to the man born blind, the man believed that Jesus was the Messiah and worshipped Him (v 38).

Are there ways that I am so hard of heart or so set in my ways, that I cannot see Jesus for who He truly is? I would love to say no, but I would imagine that is not completely true. Do I find myself set in my expectations of what Jesus will do in my life that I fail to see ways that Jesus is working that is different from what I am expecting? Am I so set in my expectations that my peripheral vision is suffering? Yes, I wear progressive no line bifocals for my normal vision, but is my spiritual vision suffering too? The truth is I need me eyes opened freshly every day to see what God is doing in my life.

Heavenly Father, open my eyes. Keep me from becoming blind to what You are doing in my life. Help me be like the man born blind who now could see and be eager to see what You are doing in my life. For Your glory. Amen.

No comments: