Friday, May 07, 2010

In the eyes of the Lord

Today, I'm not focussing on a single passage. I've been working my way through 1 Kings and I want to think about a single phrase that pops up 8 times in chapters 15 and 16 which I read this morning.

...in the eyes of the Lord...

David did right in the eyes of the Lord. Others did evil in the eyes of the Lord. This pattern continues throughout the book with probably more "did evil" than "did right." So few details are given about many of the kings: whose son they were, when they started reigning, how long they reigned, and whether they did evil or right in the eyes of the Lord. It makes me wonder when my life is summed up like this, will I be said to have done right in the eyes of the Lord or done evil.

Lord, it is my desire that when my life is over, it will be said of me that I did right in Your eyes. I know that I can only do that through You. Help me to be obedient to You and to do what it right in Your eyes. For Your glory. Amen.

No comments: