Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Responsive Hearts

Because your heart was responsive and you humbled yourself before the LORD when you heard what I have spoken against this place and its people, that they would become accursed and laid waste, and because you tore your robes and wept in my presence, I have heard you, declares the LORD.

2 Kings 22:19 (NIV)

Josiah was young when he became king. The kings before him didn't seek God. The people had turned away from God. They had forgotten the word of God... until it was found when they were renovating the temple. Josiah read it and realized how far the people had strayed from God. He humbled himself. He wept. He repented. The fruit of his repentence was that he didn't see the disaster God was to bring upon the people.

I haven't gone a long time without reading God's word. I read every day. In the morning on my own. At night with my kids. How do I react when I read the word and realize how far I have strayed from God? It's been a while since I've wept. I don't know that I've ever torn my clothes (at least on purpose). I'm pretty quiet with my repentence. I just need to make sure that I'm quick with my repentence when I find myself confronted by my sin.

Heavenly Father. Thank You that Your Word exposes my sin. Thank You that as I confess my sin You are faithful to forgive my sin and cleanse me from my unrighteousness. Help me to be responsive when convicted of my sin and to humble myself and turn to You. For Your glory. Amen.

No comments: