Monday, May 24, 2010

Unbelief

Jesus answered, "It was not that this man sinned, or his parents, but that the works of God might be displayed in him.

John 9:3 (ESV)

Jesus healed a man born blind. His neighbors didn't really believe it was the man who had been born blind. It's him. No it's not - it's somebody who looks like him. They wanted an investigation into the matter so they took the man before the Pharisees. The Pharisees made a big deal out of the fact that Jesus healed the man on the Sabbath. Some of them didn't believe a man of God would do work on the Sabbath. Others believed that a sinner couldn't do such a miracle. "And there was a division among them." They didn't want to believe that the man was born blind. They queried his parents. Yes, it's him. He was born blind.

The neighbors and the Pharisees didn't want to believe in what Jesus had done. Jesus didn't fit their picture of what a man of God was supposed to be. They kept looking for explanations so that they could rationalize their disbelief. Mistaken identity. Charlatan working on the Sabbath. He wasn't really blind to begin with. He's a sinner. Their arguments wouldn't stand. Yet, they couldn't believe in the mighty work Jesus had done. They failed to see God's work in the situation.

Where is it that it fail to see God's work in my life? Where do I rationalize away the divine and look for other explanations? Am I like the Father in Mark chapter 9?

21And Jesus asked his father\cf1 , "How long has this been happening to him?" And he said, "From childhood. 22 And it has often cast him into fire and into water, to destroy him. But if you can do anything, have compassion on us and help us." 23 And Jesus said to him, "'If you can'! All things are possible for one who believes."24 Immediately the father of the child cried out and said, "I believe; help my unbelief!"

Mark 9:21-24 (ESV)

Jesus, I know that I often sell You short in my life. I beleive! Help my unbelief!

No comments: