Sunday, May 30, 2010

Full hands

Who then will offer willingly, consecrating himself today to the LORD?"

1 Chronicles 29:5 (ESV)

David, in his final acts before his death as he turns over his throne to Solomon and charges Solomon with building the temple, gives from his own gold and silver to the "building fund" for the temple. Then he challenges the people to join him in the giving. Looking into the Hebrew behind the words translated "consecrate himself" brought about an interesting word picture. I usually think of consecrate as "to make or declare sacred; set apart or dedicate to the service of a deity..." but the Hebrew word male' implies "2) to consecrate, fill the hand". This immediately made me think of my seven year old son. "Son, can you help me unload the groceries from the car?" "Not now Dad, my hands are full." Usually when I get a response like this from him, his hands aren't really full - there's probably room for him to carry a loaf of bread or some English muffins in addition to the toys that he had in the car as we went to the store. Now me, at the time, I've probably got three or bags (thank God for bags with handles) with a box of Bisquick or something shoved under each arm (OK, maybe I'm exagerating a little). What would it look like if I gave to God with full hands? Sure today, the tithe check will go in the offering basket. I'll spend several hours up at church playing in the worship band giving of my time and talents. But are my hands full? Am I giving abundantly where my hands are truly full and can't hold any more? May I today give with my hands a little fuller than they were before.

No comments: