Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Leadership Lessons for Losers

Today's reading included 1 Kings 12. Reheboam has become king after Solomon. After the people have come to him asking him to cut them a break after his father had made them work so hard, he asks Solomon's advisors to counsel him. Then, he asks his buddies for advice. He decides to take their advice and make things harder for the people. The advice that he chose not to heed is good advice that I should keep in mind as I lead my family and serve in my church.

They replied, "If today you will be a servant to these people and serve them and give them a favorable answer, they will always be your servants."

1 Kings 12:7 (NIV)

The king should be the servant of his people. Reheboam must have thought this was backwards. But it's not. It's the same message that Jesus demonstrated when He washed His disciple's feet.

14Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet. 15I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you.

John 13:14-15 (NIV)

It's the same attitude that Paul attributes to Jesus in Philippians 2.

5Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:

6Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,

7but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant...

Philippians 2:5-7a (NIV)

Jesus, the King of Kings, humbled Himself and became a servant. He showed as much to His disciples over and over again. Reheboam the king was counseled to be a servant. May I not be like Reheboam and reject this counsel but let me take it to heart and live it out in my life.

No comments: