Friday, May 14, 2010

Driving

The lookout reported, "He has reached them, but he isn't coming back either. The driving is like that of Jehu son of Nimshi—he drives like a madman."

2 Kings 9:20 (NIV)

I don't have a fish on the back of my car. Nor do I have a "No God no peace, Know God know peace" bumper sticker or anything like that. I don't particularly want the person to know that I'm a Christian. I don't want them to think "The driving is like that of a Christian - he drives like a madman." I get cut off almost every day by cars with fish on them. I see cars with Christian bumper stickers blow by me on the highway when I'm already noticably over the speed limit. Seeing people who display their Christianity and drive like maniacs offends me. Maybe I'm offended because I do the same thing. That's why I don't have a fish on my car. Maybe, instead of being offended, I should drive in such a way that honors Christ. At least until I hear that traffic report that lets me know it's going to take more than an hour to get home. OK, even after I hear that traffic report that lets me know it's going to take two hours to get home.

Heavenly Father, help me to drive in such a way that it brings honor to You. Help me not to drive in a way that dishonors You. Help me to LIVE in a way that brings honor to You. Amen.

No comments: