Friday, May 28, 2010

Do You Believe This?

25Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, 26and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die. Do you believe this?"

John 11:25-26 (ESV)

Lazarus had died. Martha came to Jesus and confessed that she knew that if Jesus were there, Lazarus would not have died. She wasn't nagging. If You'd only been here, this NEVER would have happened. Where the heck were You? No, she recognized His power. She knew what He could do. Jesus began to draw her out. "Your brother will rise again." Yes, Jesus, I know that. He'll rise on the last day. I know that. She recognized Jesus power to heal the sick - the living. She knew that Jesus had power over life. But what about death? Jesus knew He was going to die on the cross. His disciples were beginning to realize that Jesus was going to be killed. Thomas suggested to his fellow disciples that they go and die with Jesus. "Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live." Jesus has power over life AND death. "Do you believe this?" Do you have faith in this? Do you trust this? Are you willing to commit to this? Martha, He's saying, You know Who I really am. You've seen what I can do. I am telling you that I can do more than you know. How are do you respond right here, right now?

I know the end of the story. Lazarus is raised from the dead. Jesus goes on to die on the cross. He dies for my sin. The curtain in the temple is torn in two. Through Jesus, we have access to God's holiness. Jesus is raised from the dead. Death cannot stop Jesus. Oh death, where is your sting? But the question that I am confronted with is the same question Jesus posed here to Martha. "Do I believe this?"

No comments: