Saturday, May 15, 2010

Diligent Study

39You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me, 40yet you refuse to come to me to have life.

John 5:39-40 (NIV)

In this passage Jesus is telling the people that the Scriptures point to Him. Despite all of their diligent study, they have failed to see the object of the Scriptures. They've read their Bibles, studied their commentaries, listened to their sermons and yet they haven't realized it's all about Jesus. They want eternal life. They read the Scriptures to point them to eternal life. Yet, they don't come to Jesus for eternal life. They are missing the point completely.

How often do I miss Jesus when I'm reading the Scriptures. How often do I, when I'm reading one of the "boring" passages in the Old Testament, fail to see that it's pointing to Jesus? At least I can say "not all the time." I do see Jesus in the Old Testament. By God's grace I can. Thank God!.

Dear God, I know that the Old Testament testifies to Jesus. Open my eyes that I might see Him proclaimed in Your Word. Help me to take that and proclaim to others so that they may see Him too. For Your glory, Amen.

No comments: