Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Humility when God's plans are different

Go and tell my servant David, 'Thus says the LORD: It is not you who will build me a house to dwell in.

1 Chronicles 17:4 (ESV)

Then King David went in and sat before the LORD and said, "Who am I, O LORD God, and what is my house, that you have brought me thus far?

1 Chronicles 17:16


David wanted to build a temple for God. A place where God would dwell and would sit in judgement of His people. A place where the other nations would be able to see how great God is. But that is not what God wanted. God wanted to establish David and his house - his lineage. It would be from David's line that Jesus would be born. God was more concerned with His overall plan of redemption than with a temple. David was humble in his acceptance of God's plan. David knew that he was not worthy of how God was blessing him. He knew God's surpassing greatness and was concerned that God's name would be magnified. May I be as aware of how great God is and be aware of His plans even when they differ from my own. May I be as humble before God and as concerned for His glory as David was.

No comments: