Thursday, May 13, 2010

Because of His words

And because of his words many more became believers.

John 4:41 (NIV)

Jesus had spoken to the Samaritan women at the well and she believed because He had told her everything she had ever done. Many of her fellow Samaritans beleieved because of her testimony and they came out to listen to Jesus. It wasn't just the woman's story that led them to believe. They listened to Jesus. His words. His heart. Himself. Jesus, the Word that was from the beginning and came into the world. Jesus, the Word that was with God and was God. His Word.

Like the talk He had with two disciples on the road to Emmaus, this is another one of Jesus' speeches that isn't recorded in the Bible. He gave testimony to who He was and the Samaritans believed. Just like on the trip to Emmaus where He showed how the Old Testament pointed to Him. Yet, neither of the speeches are included in the Bible. Have you ever thought about how, if these speeches were included, you would understand Him better and be able to tell people about Him better? I have. I'd love to have those words in front of me. I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. Wouldn't I be more effective in my ministry if I could just point people to these speeches. Wouldn't my life be richer? I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. Ok, so maybe I don't need those speeches. What Jesus said about himself is fairly clear. I need to take Him at His word and I need to take His word to those around me.

Jesus, thank You that Your Word changes people's hearts. Thank You that it is powerful and it accomplishes what You set it out to do. Help me to share it with others who need to be changed by it. Amen.

No comments: