Thursday, May 27, 2010

Humility and Legacy

For David said, "Solomon my son is young and inexperienced, and the house that is to be built for the LORD must be exceedingly magnificent, of fame and glory throughout all lands. I will therefore make preparation for it." So David provided materials in great quantity before his death.

1 Chronicles 22:5 (ESV)

12Only, may the LORD grant you discretion and understanding, that when he gives you charge over Israel you may keep the law of the LORD your God. 13Then you will prosper if you are careful to observe the statutes and the rules that the LORD commanded Moses for Israel. Be strong and courageous. Fear not; do not be dismayed.

1 Chronicles 22:12-13 (ESV)

David accepted with humility that he was not to build a temple for God. However, he did not put it out of his heart. He prepared for Solomon to build the temple both in materials and in preparing Solomon himself. David started putting into place the people who would build the temple and the materials to be used in building the temple. He prayed for wisdom for Solomon. Foremost, he charged Solomon to "keep the law of the Lord your God." What great humility David had. He very easily could have acted like a little kid and sulked and said If Solomon's going to build the temple then he's going to have to do it himself - I'm not going to help him! But no, David did everything in his power to set Solomon up to succeed in his task! David, as a father, earnestly desired to see his son bring glory to God and he prepared his son to do so.

As a father of two young boys, I too want to see them bring glory to God. Personally, I have not been given a vision of something that I won't accomplish for God that one of my sons will, but that doesn't matter. Yes, I have been trying to provide materially for their future success. More importantly, I have been doing what I can to prepare them spiritually. I read God's word daily not only for my own benefit, but also to set an example for my sons. I read God's word to them daily. I teach them daily as we have our family devotions.

I know how Solomon's story ended. He did build the temple. He was known as the wisest man in the world. He was immensely wealthy. He wrote Proverbs, Ecclesiates, Song of Solomon, and some of the Psalms. But he was enticed by foreign women. His heart turned to foreign gods. Ultimately his disobeyed the commandment "You shall have no other gods before me."

I don't know how my sons' stories will turn out. But I know that God knows what He's doing. We've been studying this for the last few weeks in our family devotions. May God continue to nurture in me a humble spirit earnestly seeking to prepare my sons to bring glory to God. May He change their hearts and grant them understanding so that they will have no other gods before Him.

No comments: