Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Passing the mantle

When they had crossed, Elijah said to Elisha, "Tell me, what can I do for you before I am taken from you?" "Let me inherit a double portion of your spirit," Elisha replied.

2 King 2:9 (NIV)

Elisha had been Elijah's assistant for a while and the end of Elijah's ministry was upon him. Elisha wanted to succeed Elijah in his ministry, but it seems that Elijah wasn't sure if that was best. As we follow along in this chapter, Elijah keeps trying to ditch Elisha saying that he's going somewhere and telling Elisha to stay. Elisha follows along anyway. Elijah finally concedes and asks Elisha what he wants. Elisha says that he wants the double portion guaranteed by Deuteronomy 21:17 for the first-born. In other words, Elisha wants to be Elijah's successor. Elisha gets that honor and shortly finds that people don't listen to him and kids are making fun of him. Yes, those kids get mauled by a bear, but they still made fun of him.

I wonder why Elijah seemed so reluctant for Elisha to be his successor. I wonder why Elisha was so eager even in the face of Elijah's reluctance. But, I also think about how am I preparing for my successor. For that matter, what am I looking to be succeeded in? Am I training my sons up to be good godly men? On the other hand, am I aspiring to grow into some position of leadership? I've been in positions of leadership before and when I assumed that position, the passing of the mantle was awkward at best. When I left that position, it was no less awkward. Am I striving for something but turning back because of adversity? Am I even striving? I don't know. Maybe I should...

Heavenly Father, help me to be like Elisha and eagerly pursue what it is that You have for me. Help me to hear from You so I can know what to strive for. Help me to not be discouraged when it doesn't turn out to be as easy as I would like it to be. Help me to be guided by a desire to bring You glory and not me. Amen.

1 comment:

Sgtcher said...

Kevin,
I hear you. This is also the cry of my heart. Great application.