Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Don't I deserve something?

Gehazi, the servant of Elisha the man of God, said to himself, "My master was too easy on Naaman, this Aramean, by not accepting from him what he brought. As surely as the LORD lives, I will run after him and get something from him."

2 Kings 5:20 (NIV)

Naaman had come to Elisha to be healed of leprosy. Elisha told him to wash himself in the Jordan River seven times and he would be healed. Naaman, after some initial protest whining whether his rivers back home were good enough, did as Elisha said and was healed. Naaman offered Elisha a gift. Elisha declined. Shortly after Naaman had left to return home, Gehazi decided to exploit Naaman's generosity and returned with gifts. Elisha knew, busted Gehazi, and Gehazi got what he deserved - leprosy.

It's a good thing I'm not like Gehazi. After all, he didn't actually do anything to help Naaman. Me, I read my Bible everyday - to myself and to my children. I'm discipling my children. I go to church every week. Men's Bible study every Tuesday. I serve in my church. Surely I deserve something for all of this.

The Bible is clear that I DO deserve something. "For the wages of sin is death" it says in Romans 6:23. Yes, I deserve something. Eternal separation from God. Death. Hell. That's what I deserve. Romans 6:23 continues "but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." It's a gift. I don't deserve it. Grace. That's what it is. The grace of God. I'm not entitled to it. Nevertheless, I have received it and I am glad.

Heavenly Father, I thank you that I haven't gotten what I deserve. Unlike Uzziah or Ananais or Sapphira, I haven't been struck dead upon my sinning. Thank You that you sent Your Son into the world so that anyone who believes in Him would not perish but have eternal life. Help me to remember that it's a free gift from You and not anything that I can boast in. Thank You. Thank You. Thank You.

No comments: