Saturday, June 19, 2010

Putting It In Writing

"In view of all this, we are making a binding agreement, putting it in writing, and our leaders, our Levites and our priests are affixing their seals to it."

Nehemiah 9:38

The wall was rebuilt and the Israelites were recounting God's faithfulness in all that He had done for them. They declared publicly that they were commiting to God. Then, they put it in writing and making it official. By putting it on paper, affixing their seal to it, they were attempting to show how serious they were about their commitment. If they faltered, someone could pull out the paper and remind them of their commitment. If they wanted to break their commitment, you could look at the seal on the document and realize that it cannot be broken. They could be held accountable to their commitment. There's no seal on my blog. No physical signature on it either. Back on May 4, 2010 I committed to blogging on my daily Bible reading as a means to engaging more deeply with what I have been reading. I am amazed at how God has blessed me and how much more I have gleaned from what I was reading. I've been convicted in areas I'm falling short. I've been edified and encouraged to grow in some areas. I feel like I've gotten to know some of the Old Testament saints better and been encouraged as I've read of their repentence. Most importantly, I've gotten to know God better. That has been my ultimate goal and it remains so. So, don't look for my signature or my seal, but here in writing for all to see is my commitment.

No comments: