Wednesday, June 09, 2010

I Saw You With Him

25As Simon Peter stood warming himself, he was asked, "You are not one of his disciples, are you?"

He denied it, saying, "I am not."

26One of the high priest's servants, a relative of the man whose ear Peter had cut off, challenged him, "Didn't I see you with him in the olive grove?" 27Again Peter denied it, and at that moment a rooster began to crow.

John 18:25-27 (NIV)

They pressed Peter again and he denied Jesus again. Then an eyewitness stepped forward and IDed Peter. He denied Jesus a third time. Jesus had been right that Peter would deny Him three times. The cock crowed. Peter was busted. Maybe Peter feared that he too would be crucified with Jesus. Maybe Peter feared that this last guy was going to try an-ear-for-an-ear on him. Nevertheless, Peter feared. Things were spinning out of control even though Jesus told him this would all happen - and that it had to happen.

When things start to spin out of control am I apt to do the same thing as Peter and deny Jesus? Maybe not verbally, I'm probably more apt to do it in my actions. But if I truly believe God is sovereign and in control, why should I fear? Why should I fall short in my belief? Why should I deny? When I believe that God is sovereign, I can be confident in Him and I shouldn't deny Him. When I deny Him, it shows my unbelief. I believe! Help my unbelief!

No comments: