Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Halitosis

My breath is offensive to my wife;

Job 19:17a (NIV)

Job, in his distress and complaining, in his struggling with God, became offensive to his wife. Yes, she was the one who told him to "curse God and die." In all of his struggle, he had changed and become a stranger to his wife and she didn't want to be around him. What happened to the man I married? She might have thought she would have been better off if he had died. Then her kinsmen-redeemer would take care of her instead of this burned out, broken down shell of a man. Redemption - that's what she wants - not having to listen to Job cry out to God what have I done?. She repeats to herself I can't take it anymore over and over again. Job's alienation from God and his subsequent alienation from his wife illustrate our need to have somebody draw us closer to God and to each other. Job goes on in verse 25 to say "I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth." (Job 19:25) Job recognizes his need for redemption. I know that my redeemer has walked this earth and died on the cross for my sins and will one day rule and reign on this earth. I cannot be more glad that I too can say "my redeemer lives!"

No comments: