Tuesday, June 08, 2010

That Was Easy

"You are not one of his disciples, are you?" the girl at the door asked Peter. He replied, "I am not."

John 18:17 (NIV)

Peter told Jesus he would not deny Him. Peter defended Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemene. Peter followed Jesus as He was taken to the high priest's house. He gets there and finds a crowd. You're His discple she says to him. He emphatically says "NO!" Now, I'm not a Greek scholar, but from what I've read of the Greek definitiions of the words in question, it's pretty clear that Peter was pretty clear about saying no. He didn't mumble "nah." He didn't avoid the question. He answered and his reply was clear: "NO!"

How quick am I to deny Jesus? If I were in a hostile environment and questioned if I knew Jesus, I don't think that I'd be like Peter with a quick emphatic answer. I'd probably mumble and equivocate a little and then perhaps pretend I didn't hear the question. How would I feel about it after the fact? I'll be pondering that today...

No comments: