Thursday, June 24, 2010

Blessings and Curses

and said:
"Naked I came from my mother's womb,
and naked I will depart.
The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away;
may the name of the LORD be praised."

Job 1:21 (NIV)

His wife said to him, "Are you still holding on to your integrity? Curse God and die!"

Job 2:9 (NIV)

ברך barak is an interesting word. I'm not saying so because etomologicly it is probably derived from the same root as the first name of the President. I am saying so because it appears in both verses that I've cited here. In the first verse, it is translated "blessed" (KJV) or "praised" (NIV) and in the second it is translated "curse." Suppose the two meanings were flipped. OK, I doubt Matt Redman would have had quite such a big hit with "Cursed be the name of the Lord," although I can imagine that more than a few people would be singing along silently in their minds. But what about Job's wife. "Are you still holding on to your integrity? Bless God and die!" That kind of makes me think You've fought the good fight. Well done! Now enjoy your eternal reward! Of course context is what brings about the translations we have here. Job 1:22 says Job did not sin and thus blessed seems to be the proper translation. Job 2:10 tells us how Job thought his wife was foolish and thus curse seems appropriate. What we say and how we say it is important. Sometimes what we say can be taken in a way completely different that what we intend. Examine your heart and your words before you speak. How are you going to barak somebody today?

No comments: