Tuesday, June 29, 2010

You've Got A Friend In Me

26 When he [Saul] came to Jerusalem, he tried to join the disciples, but they were all afraid of him, not believing that he really was a disciple. 27But Barnabas took him and brought him to the apostles. He told them how Saul on his journey had seen the Lord and that the Lord had spoken to him, and how in Damascus he had preached fearlessly in the name of Jesus.

Acts 9:26-27 (NIV)

You really can't blame the disciples. If the story took place today, they would have been watching CNN and seeing how this Saul fellow was going around and locking up their fellow believers. Let him come in and meet us? I don't think so! It's a trap, I know it, it's a trap! But Barnabas believed in the work God was doing through Saul. He supported Saul and brought him to the apostles. Because they knew Barnabas to be a man of good character, they were willing to trust him. I wonder if there's anyone I need to be Barnabas to. Is there anyone I know who might not be welcome into the local fellowship that I've seen what God is doing in their lives? Is there anyone that I can support and help them establish their foundation in a family of faith? I need to be on the lookout for a Saul I can be Barnabas to.

No comments: