Monday, June 21, 2010

Do You Know It All?

Since it was customary for the king to consult experts in matters of law and justice, he spoke with the wise men who understood the times

Esther 1:13 (NIV)

King Xerxes was one of the most powerful kings of his day. He's been in the background as I've read through Ezra and Nehemiah. He moves to the foreground here in Esther. He's one of the most powerful men in the world and his queen doesn't respect him. I'm sure the 24-hour news channels and gossip websites of his day were all over this story. Scandal in the first degree! He knew exactly what to do... talk to his counselors and seek their advice.

Sometimes I think I know exactly what I should do. I think I may understand a situation perfectly and the right course of action is obvious. Sometimes I think it may be obvious that the Bible says... and I should take a specific course of action. But sometimes I don't see the whole picture. Sometimes I don't see how other situations that I may not be aware of are influencing the situation I'm looking at. Sometimes, I may forget that there are other passages in the Bible that speak to the situation I may be in - not just the one that I interpret to mean what I like. I am thankful to God that there are others in my life who can speak into my life without my feeling threatened: my wife - who sees the big picture differently than I do; other men in my church who have walked with the Lord longer than I have and have seen God work in ways that I haven't; even men who have walked with the Lord less time than I have but God has still blessed them with experiences, knowledge, and wisdom that I don't posess. Seeking wise counsel is a good thing. I trust that God will guide me to the right counsel when I need it.

No comments: