Friday, June 18, 2010

Reading the Law

3 He read it aloud from daybreak till noon as he faced the square before the Water Gate in the presence of the men, women and others who could understand. And all the people listened attentively to the Book of the Law.

6 Ezra praised the LORD, the great God; and all the people lifted their hands and responded, "Amen! Amen!" Then they bowed down and worshiped the LORD with their faces to the ground.

Nehemiah 8:3,6 (NIV)

Nehemiah and his crew had finished rebuilding the wall around Jerusalem. To celebrate, they had Ezra the priest bring out the book of the Law and read it to the people. It wasn't a boring speech or a sermon that no one was paying attention to. The people listened attentively and when Ezra was finished they praised, they lifted their hands and they shouted "Amen!" and they worshipped!

This isn't always how I respond to hearing the Word of God. Haven't I seen God's faithfulness? Haven't I seen God do great things? Don't I know how true His Word is? Aren't I moved by His Word? Why shouldn't I respond to hearing or reading His Word by worshipping? I may refrain from shouting "Amen" only in the interest of not waking my wife and kids but I shouldn't refrain from responding to His Word in worship.

No comments: