Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Less Than We Deserve

13 "What has happened to us is a result of our evil deeds and our great guilt, and yet, our God, you have punished us less than our sins have deserved and have given us a remnant like this. 14 Shall we again break your commands and intermarry with the peoples who commit such detestable practices? Would you not be angry enough with us to destroy us, leaving us no remnant or survivor? 15 O LORD, God of Israel, you are righteous! We are left this day as a remnant. Here we are before you in our guilt, though because of it not one of us can stand in your presence."

Ezra 9:13-15 (NIV)

Doesn't that just capture the essence of grace? God has "punished us less than our sins have deserved." That's something I need to remember every day. I may sin in ways that are completely acceptable to the world around me and it is still sin in the eyes of God. Certainly Ezra understands here what Paul says in Romans 6:1 "What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase?" "No" is Paul's emphatic answer. "No" is Ezra's answer. Ezra knew it was by the grace of God that he could stand before God in repentence. Paul knew that it was through the grace of God as manifested in the death of Christ on the cross and being united with Christ that he could stand before God in repentence. It is that same grace that allows me to write here that I have been punished less than I deserve. Should I go on sinning to experience more of God's grace? No, the grace He has given me is sufficient that I should be amazed by it and treasure it the rest of my life!

No comments: