Thursday, July 08, 2010

I should just shut up

"I am unworthy—how can I reply to you? I put my hand over my mouth.

Job 40:4 (NIV)

God has given Job a chance to state his case. Job wisely humbles himself. He recognizes how unworthy he is to approach God. He realizes that he's said too much and that he should never opened his mouth to accuse God in the first place. I can relate. How many times have I said "did I say that out loud?" or "ok, I'm just going to shut up now" or even "me and my big mouth." When God is disciplining me, the only words out of my mouth should be "Yes, Lord." Like Isaiah, I cry "Woe to me... I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips..." (Isaiah 6:5a) Fortunately, what the seraph did for Isaiah temporarily when he touched his lips with the coal, Jesus has done permanently for me when he died on the cross. "your guilt is taken away and your sin atoned for." (Isaiah 6:7b) Because of Jesus, I can approach God. But it shouldn't be me speaking because Jesus is advocating on my behalf. I'll just shut up and let Him do the talking.

No comments: