Saturday, July 10, 2010

A Gentle Rain

1 Blessed is the man
      who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked
      or stand in the way of sinners
      or sit in the seat of mockers.
2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD,
      and on his law he meditates day and night.
3 He is like a tree planted by streams of water,
      which yields its fruit in season
      and whose leaf does not wither.
      Whatever he does prospers.

Psalm 1:1-3 (NIV)

I'll admit it: my lawn doesn't look that good. We haven't gotten much rain this summer and my lawn has gone into defensive mode and most of it has turned brown. The one patch where we put sod down has been watered daily in hope that it will root and look good in a while. Parts of that patch of lawn look OK, others not so much. But today, I don't need to run the sprinkler. It's raining. It's been a gentle rain for a while, but now it's picked up and it's pretty heavy.

Psalm 1 tells us that the man who delights in the word of God is like a tree planted by a stream. That tree has a daily supply of the water it needs to live. You don't have to run the sprinkler to keep it nourished.

I am thankful that I've had the discipline to read God's Word daily. It's an indispensible part of my morning. I know it's made a difference in how I live my life. Hopefully, my lawn is the better for it.

No comments: