Monday, March 01, 2010

Five albums I absolutely had to have

I thought that it might be fun (and might get me to blog more) if I were to start posts on the general theme of "Five Albums that..." or "Five Songs that..." This is my first attempt at such.

Today, I'm starting with five albums I absolutely had to have. They are listed roughly in chronological order...

  1. Paul McCartney and Wings - Wings Over America
    I got hooked on Wings long before I realized that Paul had been in a band before that. I have Bozo the Clown to thank for that. The Bozo the Clown show that used to run on Channel 20 in Washington had a feature where kids would send in pictures they had drawn and the show would hang them on the wall and pan over them with music playing in the background. The day that a picture I had draw was shown, "Jet" was the background music. It instantly became my favorite song. Later, I remember having Wings at the Speed of Sound and enjoying that album immensely. When Wings over America came out, I scoured the newspapers and proudly told my parents that I wanted to get the album and that Korvette's had it cheaper than any one else. It was a bit more of a drive than K-Mart and maybe my parents needed something else at Korvette's that day, but they drove me to get it.
  2. Cheap Trick - Cheap Trick at Budokan
    "I want you... to want... me!" Those words changed my life. I bought the single for IWYTWM and played it over and over and over again. I flipped it over and listened to "Clock Strikes Ten" over and over and over. I saved my allowance for a couple of weeks so that I could buy the whole album. At that point in life I was pretty much a singles collector because they were under a dollar and I could rarely wait to collect enough allowance to spend eight dollars on a full album. But after enjoying both sides of the IWYTWM single so much, I had to have this one. I loved it from start to finish. This is the album that made me want to become a guitar player. I own many different variations of it nowadays: the original CD, Budokan II, the complete concert CD, the 30th anniversary...
  3. Leslie Phillips - The Turning
    I had heard Leslie Phillips on Christian radio and prior to the release of The Turning, I had pretty much written her off as too poppy for my musical tastes. When The Turning was released, I have absolutely no thought to picking it up. But, at the end of the year, Richard Harrington of The Washington Post named it as one of the five best of the year. This picqued my curiosity. He said (and I paraphrase extensively) it's a shame it was marketed as a Christian CD and so few people got to hear it. Well, I went to Kemp Mill Records to buy a copy. I was not disappointed. The songs were great. The production fantastic. The bass playing by Jerry Scheff amazing. This remains one of my favorite CDs today.
  4. Stryper - The Yellow and Black Attack
    I might have #3 and #4 reversed in order, but I don't care. I first heard one of the songs off of this on the Saturday night Christian rock radio program while I was in college. I think I heard "From Wrong To Right" first. I liked it. Then I heard more songs "Loud N Clear" and "C'Mon Rock" I really liked it. This was in the days when I'd take songs off the radio. One tape I had going had these songs on it and I listened to it over and over. I don't recall if I finally found the casette for this in one of the record stores in town or if I had to mail order it, but I had to have it. Even though it only had six songs, I bought it. And then I bought it again when I wore out the first casette. A while later, when I finally found it on CD, I bought that too.
  5. Vigilantes of Love - Audible Sigh
    At this time in my life, VoL was easily my favorite band. An old college friend had gotten me hooked. He started my off with Welcome To Struggleville. I later picked up Blister Soul. I remember finding a used copy of Driving The Nails on the day I bought my wife's engagement ring. I was excited to read that Audible Sigh was going to be released on a new mainstream label. I would read on VOL-List about what people who had gotten the prerelease thought of it. Then, the label folded. The pre-release copies started going for exorbitant amounts of money on eBay. When it finally came out and I could buy it, I snapped it up right away. Now, I have three of the four different versions of it in my collection. I had to have it and it was worth it!

No comments: