Friday, June 05, 2009

Thank God it's Friday!

Yes, we've all said it at one time or another: "Thank God it's Friday!"  The work week is drawing to a close and the weekend is arriving.  But Friday's also just another day.  There are really so many other things that we can thank God for besides it being Friday.  I'm going to endeavor to blog about one thing to thank God for every Friday.
 
Today, I thank God for "I Want You... To Want... Me!"  One song changed my life.  I heard the single for "I Want You To Want Me" (from Cheap Trick at Budokan) on the radio (probably AM radio at that.... WYRE or WNAV).  I bought the single.  Loved it.  Loved the B-side "Clock Strikes Ten."  Wore out the grooves on the 45.  Bought the album.  Played it over and over and over and over.  I loved that lead guitarist Rick Nielsen had hundreds of guitars.  Decided that I wanted to play guitar too.
 
Fast forward 30 years... I am older and I still listen to Cheap Trick.  (New album coming out in time to make a great Father's Day gift!)  But more importantly, I play guitar and bass in the worship band at my church.  In fact, since the fall of 1983, I've been playing guitar (or bass) and leading worship in college groups, helping out with youth groups, and in the churches I've attended.  I've written songs that I've played and sung in church.  I am thankful that I've been able to play guitar for God's glory for so long.  Falling for "I Want You To Want Me" seems to be the marker at the beginning of the road I'm on.  So, thank God for "I Want You To Want Me."
 
I wonder what my life would be like if I instead had fallen for "Reunited" by Peaches and Herb.

No comments: