Monday, June 22, 2009

The Non-Waiver Trade Deadline

Although it is still weeks away, discussion abounds about the upcoming non-waiver trade deadline in baseball. The contenders are looking to see what pieces of the puzzle they need to push them over the top and make it to the playoffs while the teams at the bottom of the standings (that would be my favorite teams) are looking at what veteran players who are approaching free agency would be valuable additions to a contender who in turn has something to offer for the future of the cellar-dwellers. It is perhaps a chance to jettison some salary and acquire some prospects who will make the team better in the long run.

Now, I'm not a GM nor am I a veteran player in the last year of my contract, in fact, my name is not popping up in trade discussions at all. So, why do I bring this up?

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.

Hebrews 12:1

Maybe my life can be reflected as a baseball team. God is the Owner, Jesus the President, the Holy Spirit is perhaps the Director of Baseball Operations and I'm the General Manager. I know that there's "The Plan" to build a successful team and that I need to act in such a way as to help build this team. So I need to ask myself these questions.

  • What is "everything that hinders?"
    • There may be beloved veteran "players" on my team that are hindering me from "making the playoffs." They may need to go.
    • There may be exciting "prospects" on my team that aren't part of the long term picture. They may need to go too!
  • What about "the sin that so easily entangles?"
    • Have I as GM, chosen "players" who reflect badly on "the Plan?" I need get rid of them.
    • Have I signed "bad contracts" that I need to suck up as a loss and move on?
  • Now I need to "run with perseverence!"
    • There are 162 games in the regular season in baseball. Even after the non-waiver trade deadline there's a lot of season left. I need to know that changes today may not mean that the team will gel tomorrow.
    • Fans of perennial bottom-dwellers are always thinking that it can be better next year. It may take some time to see the benefits of the changes I make.

Fortunately, in life, there is no non-waiver trade deadline. The only deadline we have is one that we don't know. How many days do I have left? I don't know, but I know that today, I've got time to examine my life and see what is hindering me and what is entangling me and run the race before me!

No comments: