Tuesday, June 16, 2009

In front of a firing squad

It has been reported (and reported and reported and reported...) that Washington Nationals manager Manny Acta is going to be fired any day now. As I type this, he hasn't been fired yet. Has it affected how he is managing the team? From prior interviews I've read/heard with him, I wouldn't think it has. Has it affected the way the team has played? Uh... no... It's been the same old same old.

How would I react if I knew I was going to be fired any day now? Would I give 110% (of course I wouldn't - I work with Ph.D. statisticians and know that's impossible) and do a great job or would I decide to stick it to the company and get all that I could before being shown the door? Regardless of what I would do, why would I do it? Would I do it out of selfish greed, out of pride wanting to prove myself, to please my employers while they are still my employers, or... to bring glory to God? I've been at my current job about 11 years longer than Manny Acta has been at his. Do I know what tomorrow will bring for either of us? Do I even know what today will bring?

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider Him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.

Hebrews 12:1-3

No comments: