Friday, June 19, 2009

Thank God It's Friday: Thank God for my Dad

With Father's Day upon us this Sunday, I'd like to continue my Thank God It's Friday series by thanking God for my Dad!  I admit that the older I get the smarter my parents were!  There are many things about my Dad that I am thankful for.
  • Regular church attendance - even before it mattered to me, we as a family were weekly church attenders.  Over the years, my Dad has served in a variety of volunteer positions in the church.  Since church became important to me, I've always been a weekly attender and my boys know that I've been a volunteer in a variety of ways at our church.
  • Modeling marriage - My Mom and Dad have been married for 44 years.  My wife and I have a way to go before we hit that mark, but God-willing, we'll make it.
  • Gadgets and stuff - My Dad is a retired electrical engineer.  Of course he had some cool gagdets over the years.  I used to love playing with his soldering iron.  Even though I owned a CD player before he did, his was better than mine.  My Dad had a large record collection that it took me years to match in terms of volume.  Comptuers: Before PCs and Macs, my Dad bought a Timex Sinclair computer.  My Dad still has a larger TV than I do.  I get my love of gadgets and stuff from my Dad.
  • Country Ham and Sorghum - Not together (although why not?).  Two of my favorite foods which I learned to love from my Dad.
  • My first Cheap Trick concert - Yes, my Dad took me to my first Cheap Trick concert.  I don't know if he enjoyed it, but that was the concert that made me want to be a bass player. 
  • Sitting in the rain at Memorial Stadium during the 1979 World Series - Yes, the Orioles lost the series.  Yes, I still hate "We Are A Family."  But I can say that I was there because my Dad and I went!
So, let me summarize by saying "Thank God for my Dad!"

No comments: