Friday, August 14, 2009

Thank God It's Friday: Thank God I'm A Country Boy

As I continue my "Thank God It's Friday" series, I must confess that I'm not really a country boy. But this week, I took my two boys to see the Athletics play the Orioles at Oriole Park at Camden Yards. I grew up an Oriole fan and went to many games at the old Memorial Stadium when I was younger as well as a number of games at OPCY after it opened. This was probably the first time I've been back to Baltimore for a game since the Nationals came to Washington. It was comfortable being back at a game in Baltimore - kind of like a favorite pair of shoes or a favorite pair of jeans. My six year-old asked "What just happened?" when the crowd shouted out "O" towards the end of the National Anthem. I smiled and explained that's how they do it in Baltimore. When the seventh inning stretch rolled around and they played "Thank God I'm A Country Boy," I felt like I was home. No offense to "Take Me Out To The Ball Game" or "God, Bless America," but I only want to hear John Denver during the seventh inning stretch. It was an enjoyable trip to Baltimore more for the game even if it will be a while before I head back again. But for now "Early to rise, early hit the sack, thank God I'm a country boy!"

No comments: