Friday, August 28, 2009

Thank God It's Friday: Thank God for Fog

It's Friday, and lately it seems that's about the only time I blog. I really should change that, but probably not next week... Anyway, today as I continue my Thank God It's Friday series, thanking God for some things that I might otherwise wouldn't think of thanking Him for, I thank God for fog. Fog, you know low hanging clouds...

Every so often, including once earlier this week, as I drive to work crossing over the Potomac River from Virginia into Maryland, I find the river and the bridge surrounded in fog. Usually right after I come around a curve in the Washington Beltway, I encounter the fog. I can't see the bridge ahead. When I'm on the bridge, I can't look over and see the monuments in DC or the river or much else. I briefly (and it must be briefly since I'm driving in early rush hour traffic) experience a feeling of mystery and feelings of wonder. Ever so briefly I wonder what God has in store for me that day. And then as I climb the hill into Maryland, the fog dissipates and the world becomes visible again. Soon enough I'm sitting at my desk in an office with no windows and wondering how to diplomatically respond to some of the emails I have waiting for me. The wonder is gone.

So today, I thank God for fog... and the sense of mystery and wonder that comes with it.

No comments: