Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Learn to sing their songs

Wow, I wasn't expecting that when I checked out the comics (online) today that I would be inspired to blog. I was. Check out today's Cathy.

Now Cathy is not a strip from which I normally draw inspiration, but today there it is in the punchline. "Learn to sing their songs, and no one will care if you don't understand the lyrics." Here, it's referring to differences in the way men and women think, but doesn't it also apply in church? Suppose you see somebody at church singing along enthusiasticly. Do you assume that they're alright and know what's going on? Do you know if they're singing along only because the words are projected onto a big screen in front of them (or in a book in their hands if you've got hymnals)? Do they understand the lyrics ("Here I raise my Ebenezer?") or are they singing just to sing? Even worse, are they singing just so others will think they know it all and then nobody will bug them while they make a quick exit from the church after the service? Maybe they don't understand, maybe you do, or maybe you don't. Yes, God knows what's in their hearts as they sing, but the only way you'll ever get an inkling of it is through relationship. So, go out and build a relationship with the people singing around you in church. And don't forget to sing!

No comments: