Friday, February 19, 2010

Thank God It's Friday: Thank God for Spring Training!

Today in Viera, Florida, Washington Nationals pitchers and catchers report for Spring Training. Many were already there as were some of the position players. Yesterday, Baltimore Orioles pitchers and catchers reported. It's Spring Training time! It is a time when the bleakness of winter is replaced witht the hopefulness of spring. I am hopeful for the 2010 season. I think both the Nationals and the Orioles will be improved this year. I am excited to see which new acquistions will stick with the team. I am curious to see how the much hyped prospects perform as they hit the big time. I am wondering who's game is improved and who took a step backward. I am fearful of who's going to get hurt right as they are hitting their stride...

I am also wondering how I can personally approach spring training in my life. I just noticed how nicely spring training and Lent overlap. During spring training, baseball players are preparing themselves for the glorious joy of Opening Day. During Lent, Christians (at least those who observe Lent) are preparing themselves for the glorious joy of Easter. Before the end of spring training, players fear getting cut and that their chances for a major league career are dead (at least for the moment). Before the end of Lent, we remember the crucifixion of Jesus where our Savior died (at least for the moment!). On Opening Day, fans and players alike are filled with joy and hope as their teams have returned from spring training full of potential (and hopefully correctly spelled team names on their jerseys). On Easter, Christians are filled with joy and hope because Jesus has conquered death!

So where do I stand as far as spring training goes? Well, I think I've made some improvements during the offseason. I've been more diligent in reading - both for fun and for self-improvement. I've recently been writing songs again - it's been far too long. I am hopeful for the coming year - I sense God beginning to work some wonderful things in my family. So, it's time to be more diligent in my workouts and prepare for the cry of "Play Ball!" and "Well done my good and faithful servant!" For now, I say with gratitude and expectation, "Thank God for Spring Training!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really like when people are expressing their opinion and thought. So I like the way you are writing