Friday, July 31, 2009

Thank God It's Friday: Thank God for a bowl of cereal

As I continue my series of thanking God for a variety of things, today I thank God for a bowl of cereal.

At least during the week, a bowl of cereal is a pretty standard breakfast for me. It's a pretty simple breakfast and it doesn't take too much thought when you have to fix yourself breakfast and the sun's not even up yet. Lately my cereal of choice has been Cheerios (plain or honey nut). I usually will have the same cereal every day until we go grocery shopping again and get something new. And then it might be another box or bag of the same thing we just finished.

I have posted about a bowl of cereal before, back when I had a cast on my right ankle, and I am thankful that it's a bit easier for me to make a bowl of cereal nowadays.

But where's the deep spiritual significance that I often tie into these posts? Well, I suppose you can look at it a couple of different ways each of which reach the same point. You could compare my daily bowl of cereal to the Israelites daily manna as they wandered through the desert. Both might be described as a little bland and in both cases it was the same thing day after day. I could also point you to the Lord's prayer. Jesus taught his disciples to pray for their daily bread - not cereal. But like the manna, the daily bread testifies to God's provision. I am definitely thankful for God's provision. If I weren't sitting at the office right now, I might even go and have another bowl of cereal!

No comments: