Monday, August 11, 2008

My Right Foot

Yes, that's my right foot before your eyes there. Ain't it pretty? I am busy (ok not really busy) convalescing from spraining my ankle the other day. I was less than a month from my 43rd birthday before I had to make my very first visit to the emergency room.

So here's the short version, I was scrubbing mildew and such off the side of the house when I started to feel the ladder slipping. Because the side of the house is on a hill, it's hard to plant the ladder firmly. Anyway, as soon as I felt the ladder start to slip, I started to get down. Unfortunately, I did not get down fast enough. Next thing I know, I lying on the ground and my ankle is in the worst pain I personally have ever felt.

My wonderful wife very quickly takes charge and has the boys get dressed and sends them to a neighbors house so that they don't have to come along as she takes me to the emergency room. My ankle gets x-rayed as does my knee (which hurt too, but not nearly as much). Good news, nothing's broken. Bad news, I'm on crutches at least through tomorrow morning.

So what have I learned from all of this? Absolutely nothing! Ha, just kidding. I am actually quite thankful. Thankful for a wife who has taken care of me far better than I probably deserve. Thankful for two boys who have the start of a servant's heart and have occasionally been fighting over who gets to help Daddy. Thankful that worship singing still happened at our church even with me in the congregation rather than on stage. Thankful that it was my ankle instead of my arm, because hurting my arm might have prevented me from playing guitar for a long while. Thankful that God has set my feet upon a rock rather than a wobbly ladder on the the side of my house.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Wouldn't, personally, go as far as to say wonderful. LOL It's a lesson in many things.

John Palmer said...

I did a ladder dive myself four or five years ago while getting Christmas decorations out of the attic. It's not nearly as fun as it looks, as I'm sure you surmised. I did manage to escape it with just a sore backside and a small hole in the drywall where my foot hit on the way down. Rest up and heal well!

Kevin Brock said...

Yeah, the ladder dive (although I prefer to think of it as jump) wasn't much fun. However, I suppose I should also be thankful that when my head hit the ground, the ponytail provided sufficient cushioning.