Thursday, August 16, 2007

Getting Lost


Years ago, when I worked in Old Town Alexandria, I used to take walks every day at lunch. I pretty much stuck to the same route every day. One day, I turned at a different place and stumbled across a sandwich shop well off the beaten path that I'd never tried before. I ordered one of my "usual" lunches: a steak and cheese sandwich plain, fries and a Coke. It was pretty darn good. A few days later, I went back again (this time deliberately) and ordered the same thing. It was still pretty good. Eventually, I became a regular and if I walked in and there was a line, because they knew me, my order would be ready by the time I got to the counter to place the order!

Fast forward to this past Sunday, right as I got home - before I could even get my guitar out of the trunk of the car - I got a phone call telling me how good worship had been that day. Before too long, I had gotten emails echoing the same thought. As a worship leader, I've pondered what made it so. I've come up with the following:

Worship last Sunday was great...
  • in spite of the fact that almost half the team wasn't at Saturday rehearsal
  • in spite of the fact that two of the between songs transitions in the opening set of four songs were somewhat awkward
  • in spite of the fact that the closing song started (and stayed) too fast and that I forgot that my volume was off when I started playing

Yet, by God's grace and by the movement of His Spirit, it was a great time of worship. I was greatly encouraged by the phone call and emails. I was especially struck by Pastor Jack's comment about being "Lost in worship."

But back to Jack's comment about being "lost in worship." Again my snarky, sarcastic mind went to work, pondering the question...

Q) How do men get lost in worship?
A) They don't stop for directions!

Feel free to laugh... or groan... or wince in pain... but then think about it. When men show up at church there minds may be on other things...
  • I wonder how long the sermons going to be today?
  • What's for lunch?
  • So what if it's preseason, FOOTBALL IS BACK!!!!
  • Man, I shouldn't have stayed out so late last night
  • Maybe I'll mow the lawn this afternoon

You get the idea. But then something happens during the service. Maybe it's the harmony vocals that sound so good or the bass line holding down the bottom end or person in front of them raising their hands or realizing the Scripture that was just read inspired the song currently being sung or realizing that they were once God's enemy and are now seated at His table... Whatever it is, they've gotten distracted from their agenda or rather drawn away from their agenda. THEY ARE LOST! So what to do? Stop and ask directions? There's no time... Raise your hands because everybody else is raising hands... Sing louder... Begin to personalize the lyrics (I was once your enemy and now I'm seated at Your table)... Sing extra choruses...

Sometimes, getting lost is a good thing!

Song quotations from "Jesus, Thank You" by Pat Sczebel ©2003 Sovereign Grace Worship (ASCAP)

No comments: