Friday, October 31, 2008

Reformation Day

Having been raised Lutheran, I can remember when my church had a Reformation Day celebration that included a fair in the church gym. One of the few things I remember well was that my friend and I got to man the booth selling indulgences. I have no recollection of who got to be Martin Luther but I do vaguely recall that they didn't actually get to nail the 95 Theses to the door of the church (which, mind you, doesn't work particularly well on metal and glass doors).

I don't know that as a Lutheran I grew in my faith much. I remember falling asleep during the sermons and cutting Sunday School and going across the street to the Wawa. I remember watching a movie biography of Martin Luther and thinking that he came off as somewhat of a dork. I remember the high school Sunday School class being given the choice of going through some workbook (whose content I don't remember) or actually studying the Bible and the overwhelming choice was the workbook.

My journey of faith over the next several years took me to Methodist, Baptist, Evangelical Free, non-denominational, Presbyterian, and probably some other churches that I can't remember. But when I look back on this past year, one of my favorite movies that I got from Netflix was Luther - the 2003 movie featuring Joseph Fiennes in the title role. One of the books that has challenged me to think more deeply about my faith was On Being a Theologian of the Cross: Reflections on Luther's Heidelberg Disputation, 1518. It makes me think that maybe those years growing up weren't as empty as I remember. After all, God causes all things to work together for the good of those that love Him and are called acccording to His purpose.

So, this Reformation Day, I am thankful that God is continually reforming me, conforming me to the image of His Son and that nailing some complaints on a church door all those years ago helped me to realize the importance of nailing my Savior to the cross.

Posted as part of Tim Challies' Third Annual Reformation Day Symposium.

No comments: